Sunday, January 15, 2017

Review: Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis by Anne Rice

Looking for some light reading? Then put this book down. Lol. If you are a fan of Anne Rice and familiar with her writing style (which I assume you are if you've gotten this far) then you know her books are quite heavy....not in the physical sense. It took me some time to get into this book,  as I've been reading mostly young adult and the transition was tough for me. Anne Rice is a very descriptive writer. I always joke that she can go on for pages just describing the carpet. Once I adjusted,  I quite enjoyed this book.  Anne Rice is the author that returned me to my love of reading and set me on my journey through the realms of fantasy. I was overjoyed when she returned to this genre, especially when she returned to the vampire chronicles. Now,  as for this book,  she reaches back even further into the history of Amel to show us his origins and the tale of the lost city of Atlantis. She also introduces her readers to a new species of immortals and ties the history of human religion to the creation of these immortals as well as Amel and the city of Atlantis. You may want a refresher on the various characters (as there are many) by rereading The Prince Lestat. I did not,  so re-orienting myself was sometimes a challenge,  but it is possible. As usual,  perspective changes from Lestat to various other characters. I will say that I liked learning more about Amel's history and that he wasn't/ isn't completely evil,  as you may have thought prior to this installment. Anne's version of the fate of Atlantis is fascinating, to say the least, and has a realistic feel to it.  Her version of the history is so detailed one could almost believe it was true. The only problem I had with this book is difficult to put into words.  I feel a little as if Lestat has been lost. In this novel, and perhaps the last, his presence seems a little superficial. Anne's earlier works gave such a strong sense of who Lestat is,  a "Lestateness" if you will,  and he seems watered-down in the newer books.  That's the best way I can describe it.  Other than that I really did enjoy this book.  Some series' don't handle longevity well,  but Mrs. Rice has proven, yet again,  that she has what it takes.  Her attention to detail is astounding and I can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment