Sunday, January 15, 2017

Review: Chasing the Green Fairy (Book 2 of The Airship Racing Chronicles) by Melanie Karsak

I think I like this one even better than the first one.  These two books were my first attempts at steampunk novels. If these were a representation of what steampunk books are like then I'm in! This is another tale of the adventures of Lily Stargazer. Something I liked about this book was that it was less of a sequel and more of another installment about the same character. I mostly read series because I get attached to characters but the unfortunate side effect is the cliffhangers. These books could almost be stand alone's about the same character.  I like that.  Moving on.
Lily Stargazer is a unique girl for her time,  even given the fact that it's a steampunk novel.  She is a sassy Airship jockey in a time where the profession is dominated by men.  I love this character. The author has made a strong female heroine that is sort of polyamorous without it coming across as slutty. This book does pick up where the last one left us but starts a new tale.  Someone seems to be determined to stop Lily and her team from racing by vandalizing her ship.  Meanwhile things are getting serious with Sal until Lord Byron's assistant shows up requesting Lily's presence because Lord Byron is dying. Lily is stuck between her past life and the potential of her future and fate is throwing obstacles at her left and right. From sabotage and adventure to life,  love,  and death with some magic sprinkled in this book was a joy to read.  My only criticism is that the the character Robin and the elements of magic and fairy lore seem a little out of place with the rest of the book.  There is going to be a third (and final)  installment,  so there is still room to elaborate on all that,  but it was a little jarring going from the rest of the story to those parts and back again.  This book broke my heart a little but I won't spoil it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment